As many people will have noticed, we've had significant hardware trouble over the past couple days. We have tried to keep all of you informed about the status of the service and our efforts to correct the problems. Unfortunately, today's problems were widespread enough such that we were unable to provide ongoing updates. One of the things we'll be doing in the short term is to come up with ways to prevent this.
Eric details the chronology below. There is one residual issue related to the outage: some legacy users have domain associations between Blog*Spot and external domains. These associations are not functional at this time.
In addition to working on this problem, we'll also be making the necessary changes to guard against the outages we experienced over the past 48 hours.
We will provide updates on our progress as changes are made. I sincerely apologize for the downtime - in the past six months I feel we've made significant strides to limit this type of failure. We obviously have more work to do and carrying it out will be our highest priority.